Remember when you were little and your parents had friends and you were like, "WHAAAAAT??!! You can't have friends. You're a grown-up and your life should be all about taking care of me and making me chocolate cupcakes and taking me on outings in the park and chalk drawings and..." And then your parents were all "Umm, no. That's Mary Poppins. And we are certainly not Mary Poppins. Or codfish." And then you were all, "What's a codfish? I wanted cupcakes."
Yeah. As it turns out...I'm all grown up and still don't know what a codfish is. And I make my own cupcakes now. And I have friends that I try to hide from my children so that my children won't be scarred for life when they discover they aren't the complete totality of my life. Actually, that's a lie. I hide them from my children because my children like my friends more than they like me. I'm not even kidding. I just got back from a substantially long cookie trip and within an HOUR of being home, my 4-year-old asked if she could go play at MY friend's house.
I have this one friend that is always super thoughtful and asks questions that make me re-think my entire life's purpose. Like... "If you could have ONE super power...what would it be?" And everyone is saying things like flying or shape-shifting. And someone says that they would love to be able to read people's thoughts. And my friend thinks about that for a minute and says that our thoughts betray our intents. And that he would rather be able to read people's hearts.
And I'm all like- "I just want to be invisible so I can hide from my kids."
And then I made cookies to feel better about myself.
1. Airbrush the base of a cookie in blue.
2. Trace around a circle cutter with a food color marker for the head. Outline and fill the circle with a medium consistency gray icing. Let it dry for 15 minutes.
3. Outline and fill the body area of the bird and let that dry for another 15 minutes.
4. Add some wings with the gray icing. Pipe a beak with a medium consistency yellow icing and a #1.5 tip. Let everything dry for a couple of hours.
5. Pipe two tail feathers with the gray icing. Pipe the legs and feet with the yellow icing. I always pipe the right leg first because I'm neurotic. Do what you want. Add the eyes with a black food color marker. Put a #1.5 tip on the gray icing and add eyebrows and a tuft at the top of the head. Mix a little white food color with some pink food color and add some pink little cheeks to our guy.
See it in action here.
Learn how to make the most perfect BOW COOKIES ever.